Refurbished – VS – Remanufactured – What is the Difference?
We get asked a lot by our customers about our Remanufactured medical equipment. Is it the same as “Refurbished” equipment? How is it different?
Remanufacturing is a much more thorough and costly process because it is more rigorous and works toward a higher standard than refurbishing. In order to provide the maximum value to your operation, to ensure quality of care for your patients, and to reduce the chances of product issues, when you need to replace existing medical equipment, a better choice is purchasing Remanufactured products. If your suppliers cannot meet the actual definition of Remanufactured (repairing, replacing, and reassembling products and ensuring that they meet or exceed OEM specifications), then it should be considered a refurbished product.
Here is the difference between “Refurbished” and “Remanufactured” equipment.
Refurbished products have “usually” been verified to function properly
- “Usually” tested for functionality, i.e.:units are powered on and functionally tested before they are sold.
- “Usually” cleaned and may have spot repairs or spot painting done in order to improve the aesthetic value of the equipment.
- Most “refurbished” medical equipment products have only a 30 – 90 day warranty.
Remanufactured / Reconditioned medical equipment is cosmetically and biomedically rebuilt to OEM specifications
- Remanufactured medical equipment is tested to OEM specifications, which is significantly more extensive than a “functional test.”
- It requires the repair or replacement of worn out or obsolete components.
- Parts subject to degradation affecting the performance or the expected life of the whole are replaced.
- Remanufactured / Reconditioned medical equipment should match the same customer expectation as new machines.
- Companies that Remanufacture or Recondition medical equipment usually also repair medical equipment, or at the very least have strong relationships with a repair partner.
- Remanufactured / Reconditioned Medical Equipment usually has a 1 year or longer warranty.